HMRC has now updated its guidance concerning the support for self-employed earners. (See details below for SEISS scheme extension and 2nd grant eligibility) For the recent update click on this Eligibility Calculator is that there is now a link where it can be checked if a claim if eligible. Points to note are:
- To check, the self-employed earner will need their Unique Taxpayer Reference (a 10 digit number) and National Insurance Number.
- There is then a facility to provide contact details for when the portal is available to make the claims, expected mid-May.
- We would advise that all self-employed earners who believe they are entitled to this support now check whether this link indicates they are eligible.
- If eligible, a Government Gateway account can be established, if not previously done so, and contact details provided. HMRC will then use those contact details to advise when a claim can be made.
- Early indications from our client base is this will be from 13 May onwards, but different expected claim dates are being provided for different clients, albeit, they are only 1–2 days apart.
- Online will be the quickest way of receiving this support but HMRC guidance does state that an alternative method of claiming will be available in due course for those who can’t claim online.
29th May SEISS Extension
- Applications for the second grant will open in August. Individuals will be able to claim a second taxable grant worth 70% of their average monthly trading profits, paid out in a single instalment covering three months’ worth of profits, and capped at £6,570 in total.
- The eligibility criteria are the same for both grants, and individuals will need to confirm that their business has been adversely affected by coronavirus. An individual does not need to have claimed the first grant to receive the second grant: for example, they may only have been adversely affected by COVID-19 in this later phase.
NB If the above link indicates you are ineligible for this support, but you believe this is incorrect then we would be happy to review and discuss your particular circumstances.